Here is our list as to what makes raised bed gardening a huge plus for your yard. Comment below to tell us why you have raised beds in your garden.
- You can make them as high as you want. If you have problems with your back and/or bending over you can elevate your raised beds without any ill effects on your plants.
- If you decide to build your raised beds out of wood, it makes for a great way to attach other items to your raised beds, such as your bean or pea trellis, maybe a few PVC hoop houses and so on.
- Because your raised beds are elevated, it will create a perfect scenario to allow for excess water runoff. This helps in preventing overwatering.
- You can create raised beds that are large enough for many plants, yet small enough where you can work your raised beds without actually having to step into the garden. When you do not step on the soil you are not compacting it, therefore the roots of your vegetable plants can breathe.
- They are easier to weed. While I have no “scientific” data to back this claim up, to me, I have found keeping my raised beds weed free, is much easier then my larger garden bed that is not raised.
There are plenty of step by step instructions online for building great raised beds. Find one that suits your yard, size, gardening style and so on. You won’t be disappointed.