Monday, November 14, 2011

What's Crazy in your Vegetable Garden?



Last Friday we asked our Vegetable Gardening Facebook page members to post the funniest and/or the craziest question or comment they have ever received about their vegetable garden. There were some fantastic responses and we wanted to share them with you.


Leta
‎"EWWWW, you eat food from the GROUND??" - little neighbour kids (who were promptly educated about where food comes from)

Cheri
‎"so, do you like...actually eat it?"

Erin
Where's your money tree?

Leslie
when you companion plant, which herbs and flowers keep rabbits out?

Louise
We're looking at the strawberry beds and my friend asks, "are you gonna have strawberries?"

Clay
‎"you know Dandelions are weeds"

Susan
‎"You are soooo crazy." (from an ADULT on food stamps.)

Leaann
Why do you have marigolds around your garden? You know that is the "Dead people flower" At Mexican funerals we bury our dead with Marigolds and call them the Dead People Flower...now I think of dead people every time I go to my garden!

Norma
you can grow peanuts and popcorn??????

Tenna
why do you grow it?

Bonnie
‎"Isn't the gardening season over?" (In October in Vermont.) Nope, it's not!

Tina
How do I know when I can pick the stuff and what do I do with it afterwards? From a first time gardener. She didn't know what she was planting, why or how to use/cook it. She also didn't know what homegrown Swiss Chard looked like although she purchases it from the grocery store and "loves it".

Karen
I teach school & grow pumpkins for my students to paint each Halloween. I had an abundance and let them paint again for Thanksgiving. From a 7th grade student, "You should let us paint again for Christmas!" Me, "I don't have any more pumpkins." Student, "Can't you grow some more?" Me, "Pumpkins don't grow in the winter with all this snow." Student (totally bewildered), "They don't?"

My Contribution
when I was standing next to my corn and someone came up and asked...so are you growing corn?

Leslie Why did I grow only one tomato??? ANSWER..I ONLY HAVE A 15 DAY GROWING SEASON AND THIS IS THE ONLY ONE THAT SURVIVED. OUR LAST SNOW WAS JUNE 3 AND THE FIRST KILLER FROST WAS JULY 29TH!
Sigh....

Lisa
‎"Wouldn't it be easier to just go to the grocery store?"

Barbara
I asked my 7 year old grandson what he had learned about gardening after a month with me this summer "helping" in the garden. he said he learned that if you throw the rotten tomatoes under a tree an animal might eat them.

Leslie
While removing caterpillars from my plants one day, a neighbor asked me, "You're growing bugs, too? How do you do that?"...and she was serious. :)

Erica
I asked my daughter and her friend to go out and get some carrots from the garden. Her friend came in a few minutes later and said, " I couldn't find them, but [daughter] found them under these green things!" Haha! She did not know that they grew in the ground. You should have seen her face when we collected eggs from the hen-house!

Chris
how do ya smoke that stuff?

Christa
I won't go in there after dark!

Devia
"so let me get this straight you put poop in there to "fertilizes" it and then you really eat the vegetable????" me- "yes!" them- "that us soooo gross you eating food grown in animal poop. Don't they make a chemical fertilizer?.... That would not be as disgusting! "

Valerie
Is your garden on steroids?

Cyndi
Are you really going to eat that?

Tabitha
A coworker, on comparing rhe sizes of our tomato plants in the worker's garden: "You must feed your tomatoes crack."

Leota
One of my great-grandkids watched me put vegetable scraps from the kitchen, leaves and grass clippings in my compost tumbler and asked me - "After you put that stuff in there, does it get less stinky?"

Jack
I wish my garden looked that good. But my reply will always be "yes it can be".

Lidia
when we were selling our California property, a prospective buyer looked up at my 12 foot tall cornstalks and asked what I had used. When I said "compost and water" she, well, was pretty speechless.

Karen
I've been asked a few times "Did you grow these"? Well lets see... they are in my yard, in my veggie patch, and I always talk about gardening. Chances are I did.

Clark
You growin vegetables?

Jane
Standing beside my blueberry plants (she and I) eating the berries -- she said, "Are you sure you grew these?" I didn't even answer-- I just looked at her.

Mitchie
‎"what r u goin to do with all your fruit ?" a neighbor asked, " it's easier to buy them on the store. My thought was "it's none of your business "

Laurelynne
‎"Who do you have buried under there?"

So what is something that you heard that you can add to this great list?



Watch the video below to learn more about Mike`s Seeds of the Month Club:

No comments:

Post a Comment